The Society for the Study of Evolution has several options for membership. Our main area of expertise is in supporting professional scientists and their students, but we also encourage K-12, community college educators, and affiliated professionals to join us in our mission. Memberships are for a calendar year, January 1 – December 31. You may join and/or renew your membership online with a credit card or by mail. Come be part of a worldwide community that promotes the study of organic evolution!
To renew your membership or join the Society, please go to https://payments.evolutionsociety.org/joinsse/.
To join or renew by mail, please use this form: 2017 SSE Membership Form (.pdf)
You can now give a gift membership to a student for $10. This is a great way to introduce students to the Society for the first time. Gift memberships can also be purchased for colleagues in developing nations at the same low rate of $10. You can do this at the same time as your renewal or at a later date. https://payments.evolutionsociety.org/joinsse/.
If you have any problems, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Regular Member - Any person who is a professional in the field and does not fit into the categories below. - $50
Regular Developing Nation – A professional in the field that inhabits a developing nation. - $20
Postdoc Member - Any member who is either holding or transitioning from/to a current postdoctoral position, or has completed a PhD no more than 8 years earlier and does not hold a permanent position. - $35
Student Member - Any full-time (degree-seeking) student who submits an application. - $25
Emeritus Member – Professional who is now retired. - $20
Family Members: - Members of the families of one of the member types above. Family members have the same privileges as other members except they share one copy of all publications and/or mailings from the Society. Add +$5 to the main member's membership type.
K-12 Educator - K-12 teachers interested in evolution and our mission. - $20
Life Membership – Purchase a lifetime membership, including online access during your lifetime with no need to renew each year. - $800
Members may purchase the print journal for an additional cost of $180 for the 2017 volume.
SSE members enjoy numerous benefits, including:
● Eligibility to apply for a variety of awards to fund travel to the annual meeting and recognize exemplary efforts in evolutionary research, education, and outreach
● Discounted registration fee for our joint annual meeting with the American Society of Naturalists and the Society of Systematic Biologists, where you can make connections, foster relationships, find your next job and share information & research with scientists and educators around the world
● Professional development opportunities, such as sponsoring a symposium at the annual meeting, serving on a committee, running for SSE Council, or participating in educational outreach and mentorship activities
● Access to online resources, webinars, and workshops by American Institute of Biological Sciences (AIBS), the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS), and the National Center for Science Education (NCSE) through SSE’s professional affiliations
Additional discounts include:
● Free online access to Evolution
● 40% discount on fees for OnlineOpen publication in Evolution
● 28% discount on fees for publication in Evolution Letters, a new Open Access journal
● 30% discount on fees for publication in Evolution Letters for members of both SSE and ESEB
● 10% discount on fees for publication in Ecology and Evolution
● 25% discount on purchases from the Wiley-Blackwell website
● 30% discount on purchases from the MIT Press website
● 30% discount on purchases from the Princeton University Press
To learn how to claim these discounts and access Evolution online, log in to the SSE site here.
Your membership fees enable the SSE to invest in:
Over $100,000 US per year in grants, awards and prizes to evolutionary biologists at all career stages
Yearly subscriptions to cover costs of Dryad data archiving for authors of Evolution and Evolution Letters
Policy and advocacy work by financially supporting AIBS, AAAS, and NCSE
Professional development events (e.g., Diverse Careers, Diversity in Science) at the annual meeting
International symposia and workshops on evolutionary biology in developing countries